Welcome to #ActiveOTF

(Doug Gore) #1

Welcome to the Active People Community Hub, an online space to connect, share and support the development of active, healthy lifestyles.

My name is Doug Gore; I am the Strategy Lead for Active People at OTF. After 25+ years in the sport, recreation and physical activity industry, I’ve come to realize that collectively we can do much more than we can alone. My hope for this Hub is that we will, together, seek answers for the following:

What would it take for people of all ages and abilities to lead an active lifestyle and derive the numerous benefits associated with it? The vast majority of people know they should be active, but aren’t. Why? How do we create a culture that values lifelong physical activity and fosters it by making it easy, enjoyable and relevant for everyone?

This is your forum - to share ideas, knowledge, challenges and solutions; to discuss, debate, agree and disagree; and ultimately to support the advancement of what we already know, that physical activity is essential to happier, healthier and longer lives.

Engage on your own terms - share a video, ask a question, offer a solution, point to resources, post a job ad, provide feedback to better the site, or just swing by to see what others are up to.

(Rhonelle Bruder) #4

Hi Doug,

My name is Rhonelle Bruder, and I recently created The R.I.S.E Initiative with a mission to empower at-risk youth and vulnerable women to strengthen their resiliency through health and wellness. The R.I.S.E Initiative is a 12 week, 3-part interactive workshop focusing on nutrition, exercise and fitness and wellness and stress management. As a former, homeless pregnant teen, I have learned from my own experiences that a healthy mind, body, and soul can help strengthen resiliency and avoid unhealthy situations. The workshop is interactive and will help the participants learn new ways to incorporate health into their lifestyle. Food insecurity, poverty, and stress are constant concerns for vulnerable communities. Learning budget-friendly ways to provide nourishing meals and fun ways to destress can be crucial to ensuring a safe and secure home. While strengthen resiliency can help to overcome hardships and achieve one’s true potential. I have partnered with Covenant House, Massey Centre and For Youth Initiative to begin running the workshops in September. I’m actively seeking funding and hopeful you may be able to provide some insight into obtaining seed funding.

Thank you in advance,

Rhonelle

(Doug Gore) #5

Hi Rhonelle, thanks so much for reaching out. The work you are doing sounds amazing.

Regarding our investment streams, I would encourage you to follow-up with the OTF Support Centre at otf@otf.ca or 416-963-4927.

Good Luck!