Take Me Outside Day - Connecting kids to nature

nature-connection
takemeoutsideday
getoutside

(Jill Sturdy) #1

Take me Outside Day is a day to highlight the importance of spending time outside in nature.

On October 24th, teachers are encouraged to commit to taking students outside for at least an hour to engage in fun and creative activities. It can be as simple as extending recess, to spending the morning playing games and exploring in the schoolyard. Take Me Outside has developed a list of ideas and activities teachers can do with their students on their website.

Nature Canada is pleased to support Take Me Outside Day , an initiative that encourages educators and schools across Canada to extend its classroom outdoors and provide opportunities for students to explore and learn in an outdoor setting. It is a day to highlight the importance of spending time outside, being physically active and connecting with nature.

This initiative is a great way to incorporate nature-based learning into the school day. One idea is to run a NatureBlitz in the schoolyard to engage students in hands-on learning about local biodiversity.

Nature Canada has developed a do-it-yourself Toolkit for educators to deliver NatureBlitz events and encourage students to explore nature in their schoolyard. The NatureBlitz Toolkit includes resources and activities grounded in the natural sciences that can be incorporated in a variety of curriculum objectives.

Take Me Outside Day aligns perfectly with our NatureHood program, which is all about connecting urban children and youth to nature right where they live – we call this nearby nature. In your backyard, local park or schoolyard, you can find nature almost anywhere!

To learn more about Take Me Outside Day or to sign up, visit their website.

To learn more about Nature Canada’s NatureHood program and to download the Toolkit go to our website at naturecanada.ca.

(Thea Silver) #2

Thanks @jsturdy for the post and the great information! I particularly love the multilingual brochures available on the NatureHood program site - great tips to get people to connect with nature in their own backyard.

The work you’re doing and the barriers cited align strongly with information in the Connecting Canadians with Nature report released a few years ago by the Canadian Parks Council, so I thought I’d include that report here just in case people want to see it (or see it again). It speaks to the holistic reason to connect with nature - it’s all about our well-being! I’m also attaching a report that came out of New Zealand a few years ago entitled Effective Approaches to Connect Children with Nature. Again, your program resonates strongly with practices they promote.

If anyone has other examples to share, by all means please do. I’m hoping to feature more conversation about the benefits of connecting with nature on the Knowledge Centre in the weeks to come.