Protecting Nature in the Spirit and Practice of Reconciliation

nature-conservation
indigenous_conserv

(Anne Bell) #1

How can we create and manage protected areas in the spirit and practice of reconciliation? How can we decolonize conservation and pursue opportunities to protect the natural world that honour Indigenous responsibilities, rights and interests? These questions are forefront in my mind as I strive with colleagues, friends and kindred spirits to protect at least 17% of our lands and waters by 2020.

The report and summary video, Indigenous Perspectives on Protected Areas, provide a guiding light. They are based on a gathering hosted last fall in Peterborough by Plenty Canada, Walpole Island Land Trust, Ontario Nature and the Indigenous Environmental Science/Studies program at Trent University.

Indigenous voices prevail in both the video and report – voices from as far north as Moose Cree First Nation and as far south as Bkejwanong (Walpole Island First Nation). They are crystal clear about the vital importance of Indigenous languages, traditional teachings and knowledge and governance systems to the conservation of biodiversity – and about the need to work together across cultures towards shared goals. If you’re seeking inspiration, take a look – and let me know what you think!

The conversation is still in the early stages, but gaining momentum fast. The partner organizations are hosting another gathering in London Ontario next week (May 28 – 30). One of the key topics for discussion will be the report and recommendations of the national Indigenous Circle of Experts – We Rise Together. If you’re interested in Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas, it’s a must read.

Reflecting Back and Looking Forward - Five Environmental Topics to Watch and Discuss!
Pathway to Target 1 - Report of the National Advisory Panel
(Thea Silver) #2

Hi Anne: Welcome to the Knowledge Centre and thank you for your post. I can attest to how valuable the fall meeting was - and I’m very much looking forward to the gathering coming up in London and the discussions it will spark. I’ve been fortunate to have attended a number of very thoughtful sessions on the subject of conservation and reconciliation, including at the CEGN conference recently, and do feel that, while there’s a way to go and a lot to learn, we’re at a unique point in time right now with the potential to move forward in a very different way.

I’ve included here the link to the ICE report you reference above, and encourage all to read it, along with the report for the fall session you hosted. I’m hoping we can use this space to continue the learning and the very important conversations with which we are engaged.