Interested in adapting SEL programs in Out of School Time?

sel
ost
afterschool

(Arti Freeman) #1

I came across this blog at the Wallace Foundation on Helping Out-of-School-Time Providers Get Explicit…About Social and Emotional Learning.

“Wallace commissioned Harvard Professor of Education Stephanie Jones to analyze 25 widely used SEL programs. Jones and her team recently published a research brief, one in a series, that looks specifically at how those programs can be applied in OST settings (only three of the programs were designed primarily for OST). We asked Jones to walk us through the implications of her research for OST organizations.*”

Access the blog HERE

Access the Research Brief HERE

(Konrad Glogowski) #2

Hi Arti,

I know I am late to this discussion, but I thought I would jump in with another resource that I found as part of my research. I’m still going through all your posts on SEL so it’s likely you featured it somewhere else.

Afterschool Alliance released this brief in May 2018. It focuses on how after-school and summer learning programs can serve as ideal settings to help students build their social and emotional skills and competencies.

issue_sel_71.pdf (4.9 MB)

(Arti Freeman) #3

Hi Konrad,

Thank you for sharing this resource. They have highlighted some really good programs such as Wings for Kids and The Possibility Project.

For those looking at integrating social emotional learning (sel) in after school programs - this is a really good start.

We are seeing a lot of arts based programs with SEL outcomes.

Here is another resource out of Harvard’s EASEL lab, which highlight the conditions needed for effective SEL implementation.

(Arti Freeman) #4

I just came across an incredible website and resource that could help organizations integrate SEL in after school programming!

SEL Strengths Builder Method

“The SEL Strengths Builder Method is designed to help afterschool program staff assess and reflect on how well their program supports the growth and development of youth’s social and emotional skills”.

They provide a free guide for anyone to use. Check out the link above and download the guide on the top right corner of the page.

Thanks to Sylvia at Tamarack Canada for passing on this link.