Focus on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion in the Arts, Culture and Heritage Sectors

equity
arts
inclusion
cultural-equity

(Liz Forsberg) #1

Arts, culture and heritage are important vehicles for building understanding and empathy across the diverse cultures that make up our province. And while we have made progress in creating spaces for a diversity of artistic voices to be represented in cultural spaces, we still have a ways to go to ensure greater equity in our sector, in the work that gets presented, in who gets to present it and who’s there to experience it. It’s also important to recognize that the creation and dissemination of culture has been taking place on this land long before our province existed. We still have a long ways to go in centering Indigenous cultures, the original creators on this land, in the institutions that make up our sector.

For the next couple of months I will be using the Inspired People hub to explore some of the work being done in our sector to address equity, diversity and inclusion. I’ve found an abundance of good resources, tools and thinking on this subject created by arts, culture and heritage professionals who are actively working towards transforming our sector into a space where people do not experience barriers to creating, presenting or experiencing culture. Each week I will be sharing a resource to help advance your own work in this realm.

At the onset I want to acknowledge that this is barely scratching the surface of what’s out there and I would love your help crowdsourcing other resources.

Have you come across any great resources that have expanded your thinking and practice on these issues?

Have you found any tools that have been particularly helpful in your organization’s journey towards greater equity, diversity and inclusion?

Perhaps you’re working on something you’d like to share?

Please do share with us! And if you’re inclined, tell us what has been most helpful about them. I will be using the tags “equity”, “diversity”, “inclusion”, “arts” to track all of these resources and I encourage you to do so too.

I’m looking forward to our shared learning over the coming weeks!