Earth Hour, Nature Conservation and Canada Target 1

canada-target-1
nature-conservation

(Thea Silver) #1

Saturday March 24th from 8:30 - 9:30pm is Earth Hour, an opportunity to power down and think about the impact we have on our planet and positive actions we can take, individually and collectively.

But does it work? Does it matter? There are certainly opposing views on this issue – I’ve linked a couple of them below. I, for one, choose to participate in Earth Hour. Do you? Does your organization? Have you found such campaigns to be helpful or a hinderance to your efforts?

This year’s Earth Hour launches a new initiative - #Connect2Earth – which aims to spark conversations on the loss of nature and the urgent need to protect it.

This connection between climate change and biodiversity/nature conservation is one that’s not widely understood (especially publicly) but is gaining prominence, particularly with the Government of Canada’s historic investment in nature conservation announced in Budget 2018.

I’m hoping we can use this space in the coming weeks and months to explore this connection, identify gaps and opportunities, and promote collaboration in support of Canada Target 1. Please feel free to start the dialogue!