Advancing Nonprofit Diversity: A Call to Action for Funders and Nonprofits

funders
equity
diversity
nonprofit
philanthropy

(Justin Wiebe) #1

"CEP’s recent report, Nonprofit Diversity Efforts: Current Practices and the Role of Foundations, provides funders valuable input on what they can do to lead the way in helping nonprofits make greater improvements in diversifying their boards and staff.

Reading the report, two significant findings from the study caught my attention. The first was continued evidence that funders need to advance their efforts to assist nonprofits in diversifying their boards and staff. The second was that nonprofit boards and CEOs need to place a higher priority on diversifying their organizations."

Learn more here - https://cep.org/advancing-nonprofit-diversity-a-call-to-action-for-funders-and-nonprofits/

As funders and nonprofits, we most constantly be asking what can we do to further diversity, equity, and inclusion in our sectors.

Advancing Nonprofit Diversity: A Call to Action for Funders and Nonprofits and the Nonprofit Diversity Efforts: Current Practices and the Role of Foundations Report provide some important insights into what we collectively need to do differently.

(Ikem Opara) #2

Thank you for sharing this @jwiebe!

The two significant findings from the study that you mention are indeed significant, not in the least because of how consistent and enduring this message has been. For instance, when the Building Movement Project released their 2017 report, Race to Lead:Confronting the Nonprofit Racial Leadership Gap, it even described itself as “offering data to back up what we know: Nonprofit leadership doesn’t reflect the racial diversity of the U.S., and that’s a problem for the entire charitable nonprofit sector”.

In the Canadian context, I feel that this also largely the case, with the notable exception of those community or population specific organizations that are typically founded and led by people to build on something they have recognized within their own community.

We know, so how can we continue to change this dynamic?

(Ikem Opara) #3

Given that I have not watched an NFL football game in 2 years #HireKapernick, it is a bit ironic for me to bring up an NFL policy, albeit an old one in this conversation.

This is an interesting article by Marshawn Woolley about the idea of using the Rooney Rule in non-profit leadership hiring competitions in the Indianapolis Business Journal

NFL can teach not-for-profits about diversity