A Study on Diversity in Canada's Galleries

equity
arts
inclusion
diversity
cultural-equity

(Liz Forsberg) #1

My first share in this weekly focus on equity, diversity and inclusion resources in the arts, culture and heritage sector is a study done by Michael Miranda and published last year in Canadian Art Magazine. Hard Numbers: A Study on Diversity in Canada’s Galleries sets the context for why our sector needs to be actively working towards greater equity, diversity and inclusion. This study focuses specifically on galleries that have core-funding from the Canada Council. While the findings apply to that slice of our sector, my sense is that the results would not be dramatically different across other sub-sectors. The issue is that there aren’t a whole lot of datasets on diversity in the arts, culture and heritage sectors - which is why Maranda says he undertook this exercise. I’ve excerpted Maranda’s key findings below and you can read the study here.

If you know of any additional studies and/or research examining equity, diversity and inclusion in the culture sector, please post here!

KEY FINDINGS

1. GALLERY MANAGEMENT IS WHITER THAN CANADIAN ARTISTS IN PARTICULAR, AND THE CANADIAN PUBLIC IN GENERAL
  2. GALLERY-MANAGEMENT DIVERSITY IS LAGGING BEHIND EVEN 1996 GENERAL-POPULATION DEMOGRAPHICS
  3. WOMEN DOMINATE CANADA’S ART FIELD, BUT NOT ITS TOP ECHELONS
  4. THE HIGHER UP WE GO, THE LOWER THE PERCENTAGE OF WOMEN EMPLOYED
  5. CANADA COUNCIL–FUNDED GALLERIES EMPLOYING WOMEN RECEIVE, ON AVERAGE, 20% LESS THAN THOSE EMPLOYING MEN
  6. VISIBLE-MINORITY AND INDIGENOUS GALLERY ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF IS SEVERELY UNDERREPRESENTED
  7. REGIONAL ART-ECOLOGY PARTICULARITIES MATTER
  8. THE LESS MONEY A GALLERY RECEIVES, THE MORE LIKELY THE DIRECTOR OR CURATOR IS INDIGENOUS

Michael Maranda is assistant curator at the Art Gallery of York University and has also published a series of studies exploring the socio-economic status of visual artists in Canada called Waging Culture.

What does it mean to be an ally working towards greater equity?
Essential viewing for arts leaders: Diane Ragsdale's "On Artistic Leadership & Aesthetic Value(s) in a Changed World"
A scan of Arts Research Monitor articles focused on #Equity #Diversity #Inclusion in Canada